So, when I was a kid, we had a game we used to love playing called Waterworks. In the game, there are  playing cards showing plumbing pipe and the purpose is to complete a pipe from valve to spout before the other players can start the water or give you a leaky pipe.  We enjoyed playing this game, but it certainly did not prepare me for real life plumbing.

I only bring this up as it is what came to mind yesterday morning during my plumbing adventures.  In my neighborhood, most of the neighbors plant winter seed in anticipation of the coming winter months. While preparing my yard for planting, I got the desire to pull a bush from my landscaping that had seen better days and that regularly poked people as they walked up to my front door. It was while removing that bush that the adventure began.

Several years ago, all the homes in my neighborhood began having problems with the pipe that ran from the water meter to the house. This water main tended to break easily and the end result is that they all had to be replaced. In the case of my house, the bush I previously mentioned had already been in place and had very aggressive roots. So, the plumber that did the install put the new copper pipe over part of the root system and even over the sprinkler system pipes. This left the water main with less than an inch of dirt on top of it. And in the process of removing the bush, the copper pipe was punctured. The water was quickly turned off, but not before we were soaked from head to toe.

Turns out this was an opportunity to fix what was improperly installed in the first place. After excavating the area, I decided to move the sprinkler box and replace and re-solder many of the parts leading into the house.

The photo to the left is the result of 2 days of work. It was definitely too much time spent fixing the damage and making it look good. But in the end I can be proud that it is fixed right.  And I learned a few things along the way. I already knew sprinkler systems from summers spent installing landscaping in High School. But the soldering of the copper was new and I am so glad to have had the help and good learning experience.  Thank you Samuel for your patience and assistance. I learned lots and we had a good time reconnecting as we worked.

Oh, and we did manage to get my winter seed planted. Looking forward to the cool summer months ahead. I love Arizona winters. :)

This entry was posted in Life of Jared. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>